Sweet Christmas Recipes
Meringue Christmas Wreaths, courtesy of Donna Hay.
- 150ML EGGWHITES (APPROXIMATELY 4 EGGS)
- 1 CUP (220G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON WHITE VINEGAR
- Preheat oven to 100°C (250°F). Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds before adding more. Once all the sugar has been added, whisk for a further 6 minutes or until stiff and glossy. Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the vinegar and whisk for a further 2 minutes. Place the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1.6cm fluted nozzle.
- Using a pencil, draw 10 x 10cm circles onto sheets of non-stick baking paper. Invert the paper onto baking trays and pipe the meringue around the inside of the circles to make 10 wreaths. Bake for 45–50 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Carefully tie with ribbon to decorate. Makes 10.
Tip: Wreaths will keep in an airtight container for up to four days.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread cookies, courtesy of Donna Hay.
- 125G UNSALTED BUTTER, SOFTENED
- ½ CUP (90G) BROWN SUGAR
- ⅔ CUP (230G) GOLDEN SYRUP
- 2½ CUPS (375G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1 TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF (BAKING) SODA, SIFTED
- 2 TEASPOONS GROUND GINGER
- 1 TEASPOON MIXED SPICE
- 100G DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until pale and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup, flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice and beat until the mixture just comes together to form a smooth dough. Fold through the chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on large lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Flatten slightly and bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 24.
For more information head to: Donna Hay’s Website